Sunday, January 29, 2012

Salmon Rolls with Cucumber Dill Sauce


Super easy Salmon Roll!
Like everyone else in the world I’ve had a really busy week.  I’m not really sure what I did…but somehow Friday came and I was amazed by how quickly my week had passed me by!  To top it off I’m having trouble with my hand-me-down laptop, sigh.  (It might have something to do with the cup of tea that I spilled on it, but of course I can’t be sure…)  So when getting ready to cook for Shabbat, given my current state of affairs, had I been someone else I would have turned to www.koshereveryday.com to find some fun, fast, and easy recipes to make for my family and guests…but I AM koshereveryday.com.  Sigh.  It was time to dig deep into my recipe database and pull out my Kitchen McGyver persona for something fabulous but super easy to make.

I opened my freezer and my dear friend puff pastry was smiling at me from the freezer door.  If you want to make something that looks impressive but isn’t too hard to make, puff pastry is the answer.  Step one to completing my Shabbat menu – check.  It was time to check the pantry and the refrigerator. I found canned salmon and cucumbers – this was almost too easy!

Everyone knows that salmon is good for you.  Every list of the top ten best foods for your health includes salmon.  It’s high in omega-3 fatty acids, good for you protein, vitamin b-12 and iron*. Canned salmon is also high in calcium, with pink salmon actually having more calcium than the red. So, when trying to find an awesome appetizer, the healthy salmon I found was like finding a hidden treasure in my pantry.  I’m sharing with you my super easy recipe for Salmon Rolls with Cucumber Dill Sauce, that uses ingredients that you already have – frozen puff pastry, canned salmon (pink or red), bread crumbs (fresh or store bought), and a secret ingredient that everyone has in their fridge that gives this dish it’s fabulously beautiful deep red color and terrific flavor – ketchup!  Topped with a refreshing cucumber dill sauce made with just three ingredients, cucumbers, lowfat mayonnaise, and dried dill (which I had to send my helper bees out to get at the store) it’s a beautiful start to your special Shabbat meal (mine too!).  

The rest of the meal was pretty straight forward, hearty chicken soup, roasted whole rosemary seasoned chickens stuffed with jasmine brown rice and crimini mushrooms (there had to be some mushrooms!) and a bed of Yukon Gold potatoes tucked underneath the chickens.  Dear Husband made roasted cauliflower, and along with some new Near East Quinoa pilaf we were set.  Dessert was easy – we always have plenty of dessert in our house!

TGFS – Thank G-d For Shabbat!  It was great to have a restful and relaxing Shabbat to recharge.  I know that this week will be chaotic (just like every other one!) but I know I have another Shabbat and good food to look forward to (and yummy Shabbat leftovers from this week for Sunday night’s dinner)!

*http://www.alaskaseafood.org/canned/about_omega/Nutritional_Benefits.html

Thanks Dear Husband for letting me use your computer this week for this week's blog entry. Sigh.

Salmon Rolls with Cucumber Dill Sauce

2          14.75 ounce     cans salmon (pink or red)
2 ½      cups                 bread crumbs (I ground old challah), or more if necessary
2          large                 eggs
1          small                 onion, finely diced
¾         cup                   ketchup
2          sheets               puff pastry, defrosted
Sauce
2          medium            cucumbers, peeled
1 ½      cups                 lowfat mayonnaise
1          tablespoon        dried dill weed
1          tablespoon        sesame seeds (optional)

Preheat oven to 400˚F or 375˚F if using a convection oven.  Line 3 large cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.

Place the cans of salmon in a large bowl.  Do not drain.  Crumble the salmon with your hands (I wear kitchen gloves) to make sure there are no lumps or hard pieces.  Add the bread crumbs, eggs, onion, and ketchup.  Mix until smooth.  If the mixture seems too moist add more bread crumbs – but make sure that the mixture isn’t too dry.

Roll a sheet of puff pastry dough to 9x11 inches.  Spread half the salmon mixture onto the puff pastry sheet leaving around 2 inches uncovered on the long end.  Roll the sheet lengthwise, pinching the ends to seal.  Using a long, thin knife, slice the uncooked roll into ½ inch slices, placing each slice on the prepared cookie sheets cut side up.  You should have approximately 12 slices on each sheet.  Bake for 25 minutes until browned.  Serve warm or cold with Cucumber Dill Sauce.

For the Cucumber Dill Sauce:
Process the cucumbers in a food processor until coarsely ground.  Add mayonnaise and dill and pulse a few times to combine.  Transfer to a container with a lid and refrigerate until ready to serve with the Salmon Rolls.

All the ingredients: 
 It looks a little gross...but mush
it all together and it will be great...
trust me!!
 See I told you...it looks great!
 Add the rest of the ingredients....
 Mix it up again...(it's really much
redder in person - really!)
 Spread it out but leave an empty
space at the bottom.
 Roll it up and then pinch the
ends to seal.
 Slice it up and place it on the
cookie sheet cut side up...
 SO pretty & golden brown!
 Now for the sauce...
 Grind the cucumbers...
 Add the mayo and dill...
 And they'll think you slaved for hours!!
(but we know better!!) 
Look for additional information about Edible Experience Kosher Everyday at www.koshereveryday.com,
aish.com, Mishpacha Magazine’s Kosher Inspired Magazine,
The Chicago Tribune Syndication,
 or on Facebook at Edible Experience by Sharon Matten.

These recipes are for sole, personal use of visitors to Sharon Matten -Edible Experience Kosher Everyday. Edible Experience Kosher Everyday recipes are for your enjoyment but are not to be posted or reprinted without express permission from Sharon Matten. Thank you!!

Congratulations!
KosherEveryday is one of the finalists for the 
2011 CBS Most Valuable Blogger Awards!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment